The History of the Papacy
- Peter's kingdom : inside the papal city / Jerrold M. Packard. 1985
- A fact-filled tour of the Vatican city-state from its legal framework, colossal bureaucracy and religious conservatorship to its museums and public spaces.
- Inside the Vatican : the politics and organization of the Catholic Church / Thomas J. Reese. 1996 262.13 R259i
- Drawing on more than a hundred interviews with Vatican officials, this book affords a firsthand look at the people, the politics, and the organization behind the institution. Reese brings remarkable clarity to the almost Byzantine bureaucracy of congregations, agencies, secretariats, tribunals, nunciature, and offices, showing how they serve the pope and, through him, the universal church. He gives a lively account of how popes are elected and bishops appointed, how dissident theologians are disciplined and civil authorities dealt with. Throughout, revealing and colorful anecdotes from church history and the present day bring the unique culture of the Vatican to life.
- Keepers of the keys : John XXIII, Paul VI, and John Paul II, three who changed the Church / Wilton Wynn. 1998 282.092 W992k
- Former Time magazine Rome bureau chief and a member of the Vatican press corps from 1962 until his retirement, Wynn here tells the compelling story of his involvement with "three who changed the church.'' Data presented on historic and contemporary events illuminate the extremely different characters of three of the most recent pontiffs and their effects on the religious and laity around the world.
- Lives of the popes : the pontiffs from St. Peter to John Paul II / Richard P. McBrien. 1997 282.0922 MCBRIEN Lives of
- Profiles every pope throughout history--the benevolent and the base, the bizarre and beloved--in one detailed and comprehensive volume. Richard P. McBrien eloquently and powerfully brings to life the unique stories of the popes and reveals how they transformed Christianity and the world.
- The Medieval Papacy / Geoffrey Barraclough 1968
- A well-written introduction to the Popes of the Middle Ages, with illustrations. Part of the History of European civilization library.
- The Papacy in the modern world, 1914-1978 / J. Derek Holmes ; foreword by John Tracy Ellis. 1981 282.9 H736p
- Classic history of the modern papacy from World War I through the short reign of John Paul I.
- The triumph of the Holy See : a short history of the papacy in the nineteenth century / J. Derek Holmes. 1978 282.9 H736t
- A history of the turbulent nineteenth century papacy by a renowned religious scholar.
- The Popes, a concise biographical history. Historical surveys by Douglas Woodruff. Biographical articles by J.M.W. Bean [and others. 1964 282.9 J613p
- Short biographies of the Popes.
- The Vatican in the age of the dictators, 1922-1945 [by] Anthony Rhodes. 1974 282.9 R346v
- Examines the war the Nazis waged against the Catholic Church.
- An illustrated history of the popes : Saint Peter to John Paul II / Michael Walsh. 1984 282.9 +W168i2
- An illustrated survey of the papacy.
- The Church visible : the ceremonial life and protocol of the Roman Catholic Church / James-Charles Noonan, Jr. 1996 390.422 N737c
- Examines the present-day incarnation of the Church in her external life: ceremonies, traditions, vestments, insignia, protocol, and temporal and spiritual governance. The book is divided into five sections: the Vatican itself, papal honors including orders of knighthood, Church protocol, vestments and insignia, and a brief history of the papacy.
- The Vatican collections : the papacy and art : official publication authorized by the Vatican museums. 1982 707.4 V455
- A catalogue of an exhibition shown at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York in 1983.
- The Vatican; Its History—Its Treasures 1914
- A compilation, edited by Ernesto Begni, James C. Grey and Thomas J. Kennedy.
- In the footsteps of popes : a spirited guide to the treasures of the Vatican / Enrico Bruschini. 2001 708.5634 BRUSCHIN
- An Italian art critic and renowned art expert takes readers on a lively guided tour through the art treasures of the Vatican, describing the magnificent artworks by Raphael, Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, Caravaggio, and other art masters.
- Vatican : history and art / by Fabrizio Mancinelli, translated by Lisa Clark. 1974
- By a former assistant art curator in the Vatican Museums.
- Pageant of the popes; by John Farrow, illustrated by Jean Charlot. 1950 922.2 F24p2
- Readable one-volume history of the papacy.
- The Empire and the Papacy, 918-1273 / T. F. Tout, 8 th ed., 1965
940.1 H27 v.2
- A study of the relationship between the German Empire and the Papacy in the early Medieval period. Includes 14 maps and 10 tables.
- Inside the Vatican / by Bart McDowell ; photographed by James L. Stanfield ; prepared by the Book Division, National Geographic Society. 1991 945.634 M148i
- Stanfield was granted unprecedented access to areas rarely open to the public and spent nearly a year in collaboration with McDowell to create this extraordinary, behind-the-scenes tour of the Vatican, revealing its secrets and magnificent art treasures. 150 full-color photos.