Books & Videos at the Springfield City Library
- Egyptian mummies : unraveling the secret of an ancient art, Bob Brier. I: W. Morrow, 1994 932 B766e
- Examines the author's attempts to duplicate the Egyptian mummification process.
- Padihershef : Egyptian mummy, essay and catalogue entries by Joyce Haynes ; essay by R. Jackson Wilson. George Walter Vincent Smith Art Museum, 1984. AM 709.32 +P134
- Catalogue of an exhibition held at the George Walter Vincent Smith Art Museum, Springfield, Mass., Dec. 2, 1984- Jan. 20, 1985.
- Conversations with mummies : new light on the lives of ancient Egyptians, by Rosalie David and Rick Archbold ; additional historical consultation by Peter Brand New York : Morrow, c2000.Nonfic 932 DAVID Conversa
- Lavishly illustrated study of new insights into Egyptian life and culture based on high-tech examinations of mummies.
- Mummies, myth, and magic in ancient Egypt , Christine El Mahdy. Thames and Hudson, 1989. Nonfict 299.31 H653m
- Study of the Egyptian way of death, revealing how the process of mummification arose, how it was perfected, and how it came to occupy a central role in the ancient Egyptian quest for eternal life.
- Mummies of the Pharaohs : modern medical investigations, by Maurice Bucaille St. Martin's Press, 1990. 932 B85mu
- Short study of medical discoveries relating to Ramses II and his son, Menerptah, and the question of whether either was the pharaoh of the Exodus.
- The mummy in ancient Egypt : equipping the dead for eternity, Salima Ikram and Aidan Dodson. Thames & Hudson, 1998 393.10932 I26m
- Ikram, an Egyptologist, and Dodson, an archaeologist specializing in Egyptian funerary practices and aspects of dynastic history, combine to produce a comprehensive account of how Egyptian mummies were made, wrapped, adorned and sheltered for an afterlife.
- The mummy congress : science, obsession, and the everlasting dead, Heather Pringle. Hyperion, c2001. 393.3 PRINGLE Mummy co
- Journalist Pringle's attendance at a small scientific congress in Chile led to a year-long odyssey tracking our modern fascination with mummies and mummification around the world and through the ages.
- The encyclopedia of mummies, Bob Brier. Checkmark Books, c1998. 393.3 BRIER Encyclop
- Entries are arranged alphabetically and vary in length from one paragraph to several columns. The encyclopedia includes information on mummies from around the world, from ancient and medieval times to the modern day.
More Reading Suggestions:
- Mummy Talks: Bibliography
- An annotated reading list on mummification practices and medicine in ancient Egypt, from the Royal Ontario Museum.
For Younger Readers:
- The best book of mummies, Philip Steele. Kingfisher, 1998. Juv J 932 STEELE
- From the City of the Dead to the Valley of the Kings, this colorful collection of cadavers and caskets brings to life the mysteries of the mummies and the ancient Egyptians. Includes an illustrated Glossary & Index.
- Cat mummies, by Kelly Trumble ; illustrated by Laszlo Kubinyi. Clarion Books, c1996. J 932 T771c
- The book starts off intriguingly with the discovery in an Egyptian desert of thousands and thousands of cat mummies that had lain undisturbed for two millennia. How did they get there? And why were cats so important to the Egyptians? To answer those questions, Trumble takes readers back in time to the beginnings of Egyptian civilization, when animal totems protected tribes.
- Egyptian mummies : people from the past, Delia Pemberton. Harcourt, 2001. J 932 PEMBERTO
- Gr 3-5-Seven mummies from the British Museum are used as an organizing device to look at the historical and medical significance of mummification.
- Mummies, by Joyce Milton ; illustrated by Susan Swan. Grosset & Dunlap, c1996. JJ MILTON, JOYCE Mummies
- Grades 1-3. Explains the Egyptian pharaohs' beliefs about life after death, details the technique of mummification, and describes pyramids as burial places.
- Mummies made in Egypt, written and illustrated by Aliki. Crowell, c1979. LOCATION J 393 B73m
- Describes the techniques and the reasons for the use of mummification in ancient Egypt.
- Mummies, tombs, and treasure : secrets of Ancient Egypt, by Lila Perl ; drawings by Erika Weihs. Clarion Books, c1987. J 932 P42m
- Text and photographs examine the mummies and tombs of ancient Egypt.
- Secrets of the mummies, by Joyce Milton ; illustrated with drawings by Delores R. Santoliquido and black and white photographs. Random House, c1984. J 932 M64s (IO only)
- Discusses natural and embalmed mummies, the ancient Egyptian mummification process, and what the study of mummies has revealed about ancient cultures.
- Wrapped for eternity : the story of the Egyptian mummy, Mildred Mastin Pace ; Egyptologist and content consultant, Kenneth Jay Linsner ; line drawings by Tom Huffman. Peter Bedrick Books, 1998. J 393.3 PACE
- Explores the mysteries of the mummification process, tomb robbing, x-raying of mummy bundles, and myths about mummies.
- The mummy's case [videorecording], a production of WGBY-TV. : WGBY-TV, 1984. VID 932 Mum
- The story of the mummy Padihershef, and how his remains and casings came to be reunited and restored at the George Walter Vincent Smith Art Museum in Springfield, Mass. Discusses what has been learned of Padihershef's life, and the concepts of spirits, gods, and the afterlife in ancient Egypt.
- Mummies: tales from the Egyptian Crypts; produced and directed by Lisa Bourgoujian. A&E Home Video; VID 932 MUMMIES
- Egyptologists and the latest computer technology bring the wonders of ancient Egypt to life in four volumes: v. 1. The great pyraminds -- v. 2. The sphinx -- v. 3. Hieroglyphs -- v. 4 King Tut.
- Mummies made in Egypt and bringing the rain to Kapiti Plain [videorecording], GPN/WNED-TV., c1979. JVID 393.3 MUMMIES
- From the series "Reading Rainbow." The host, LeVar Burton, visits Boston's Museum of Fine Arts to learn about mummies.
Call the Reference Desk at 413-263-6828 ext 213 or use our AskALibrarian service to obtain a book or video from the Springfield Library.