African-Americans in the Military:
Selected titles from the Springfield City Library
- Dabbs, Henry
- Black brass: Black generals and admirals in the Armed Forces of the United States / Henry E. Dabbs. Charlottesville, Va. : Howell Press, c1997. 355.3310973 D111b 1997
- Phelps, J. Alfred.
- Chappie : America's first Black four-star general : the life and times of Daniel James, Jr. / J. Alfred Phelps. Novato, CA : Presidio, c1991. BIO JAMES DANIEL Phelps
- Petersen, Frank E.
- Into the tiger's jaw : America's first Black marine aviator / the autobiography of Lt. Gen. Frank E. Petersen with J. Alfred Phelps. Novato, CA : Presidio, c1998. 355.0092 P442i
- Powell, Colin L.
- My American journey / Colin L. Powell, with Joseph E. Persico. New York : Ballantine Books, 1996. BIO POWELL COLIN L. Autobiog My Ameri
- Buckley, Gail Lumet, 1937-
- American patriots : the story of Blacks in the military from the Revolution to Desert Storm / Gail Buckley. New York : Random House, c2001. 355.0089967 BUCKLEY American
- Terry, Wallace (ed.)
- Bloods, an oral history of the Vietnam War / by Black veterans ; [edited by] Wallace Terry. New York : Ballantine, 1985, c1984. 959.7043 B623
- Bowley, Freeman S. (Freeman Sparks), b. 1846.
- A boy lieutenant : memoirs of Freeman S. Bowley, 30th United States Colored Troops officer / introduction by Ronald R. Seagrave; edited by Pia Seija Seagrave. Fredericksburg, Va. : Sergeant Kirkland's Museum and Historical Society, c1997. 973.7415 B682b
- Bussey, Charles M.
- Firefight at Yechon : courage & racism in the Korean war / Charles M. Bussey. Washington : Brassey's, c1991. 951.9042 B967f
- Yacovone, donald (ed.)
- Freedom's journey : African American voices of the Civil War / edited by Donald Yacovone. Chicago : Lawrence Hill Books, c2004. NEWCAS 973.7092396 FREEDOMS
- Winch, Julie, 1953-
- A gentleman of color : the life of James Forten / Julie Winch. Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press, 2002. BIO FORTEN JAMES Winch
- Carter, Allene G.
- Honoring Sergeant Carter : redeeming a black World War II hero's legacy / Allene G. Carter and Robert L. Allen. New York : Amistad, 2003. BIO CARTER EDWARD Carter
- Baker, Vernon J.
- Lasting valor / Vernon J. Baker, with Ken Olsen ; foreword by Colin L. Powell. Columbus, Miss. : Genesis Press, c1997. 940.548173 B178L
- Latty, Yvonne (Ed.)
- We were there : voices of African American veterans, from World War II to the War in Iraq / [compiled by] Yvonne Latty ; with photographs by Ron Tarver. New York : Amistad, c2004. 355.0092396 WE WERE
- DefenseLink: African-Americans in the Military
- Includes, among other topics, discussions of African-American women in the military; the Tuskegee Airmen; and Executive Order 9981, which led to the integration of the Armed Forces in 1948.
- NARA: Blacks in the Military
- Articles, databases, and other materials from the Archives Library Information Center at the National Archives.
- Buffalo Soldiers on the WEstern Frontier
- Overview of African-American cavalry soldiers in the American West during the late nineteenth century. Includes Medal of Honor recipients. From the International Museum of the Horse.
Return to Black History Month page.