John Paul II and the Modern Papacy
En español | On the web
- John Paul II : a Pope for the people / text by Luigi Accattoli ... [et al.] ; captions by Michael Schrom ; translated from the German by Russell Stockman. 2004 New Case BIO JOHN PAUL II POPE John Pau
- A quarter of a century ago, the Catholic Church surprised the world by electing its first Polish pope, fifty-eight-year-old Karol Wojtyla, who became Pope John Paul II. The pontiff's charisma has made him a beloved figure even as he has struggled to represent and unite the disparate factions of the modern Catholic community. Published in cooperation with Der Stern, Germany's widest-selling weekly magazine, this timely book portrays the pope's complex personality and politics through texts by five internationally renowned authors, accompanied by a series of stunning photographs that survey his life and work.
- Rise, let us be on our way / Pope John Paul II ; [translated by Walter Ziemba]. 2004 New Case BIO JOHN PAUL II POPE Auto
- With recollections on his life as well as his thoughts on the issues facing the world now, Pope John Paul II offers words of wisdom in a book that will appeal to people of any faith looking to strengthen their spirituality.
- The pontiff in winter : triumph and conflict in the reign of John Paul II / John Cornwell 2004 New Case 282.092 CORNWELL
- In a bold, highly original work, John Cornwell argues that John Paul's mystical view of history and conviction that his mission has been divinely established are central to understanding his pontificate. Focusing on the period from the eve of the millennium to the present, Cornwell shows how John Paul's increasing sense of providential rightness profoundly influenced his reactions to turbulence in the secular world and within the Church. Always respectful of John Paul's prodigious spirit and unrelenting battles for human rights and religious freedom, Cornwell raises serious questions about a system that grants lifetime power to an individual vulnerable to the vicissitudes of aging and illness. The result is a moving, elegiac portrait of John Paul in the winter of his life and a thoughtful, incisive assessment of his legacy to the Church.
- Heirs of the Fisherman : behind the scenes of papal death and succession / John-Peter Pham 2004 New Case 262.13 PHAM
- In this fascinating volume, former Vatican insider John-Peter Pham takes us where outsiders have never gone before, providing vital background to the selection of the heir of the fisherman. Here is a highly accurate portrait of the modern Vatican--indeed, the only account to reveal the striking changes to papal succession procedures made by Pope John Paul II.
- John Paul II : a light for the world : essays and reflections on the papacy of John Paul II / edited by Mary Ann Walsh ; foreword by Kofi Annan. 2003 262.13092 JOHN
- Created for the occasion of his twenty-fifth anniversary as Pope, John Paul II: A Light for the World provides a celebration in photographs and words of the courageous pastor who guides more than one billion Catholics and has made his mark on history the world over. Features over 140 photographs - many of which seldom have been seen outside the Vatican - by official Vatican photographers who have captured the Pope's remarkable life and ministry for two and a half decades. These photographs are accompanied by selections from the Pope's own speeches and writings as well as essays and personal reflections by scholars and friends that provide insight into the public and private person of Pope John Paul II.
- The private prayers of Pope John Paul II : an invitation to prayer / [Pope John Paul II]. 2002 242.2 JOHN PAU
- In this Vatican-authorized volume, Pope John Paul II highlights the profound importance of the act of prayer as the cornerstone to faith.
- Conclave : the politics, personalities, and process of the next papal election / John L. Allen, Jr. 2002 262.135 ALLEN
- Now completely up-to-date and in its second edition, a captivating, insider's guide to the politics and personalities that will have a tremendous impact on one of the world's most secretive and important events -- the election of a pope to succeed John Paul II.
- John Paul II : a personal portrait of the pope and the man / Ray Flynn with Robin Moore & Jim Vrabel. 2001 BIO JOHN PAUL POPE Flynn John Pau
- Flynn, former U.S. ambassador to the Vatican, provides a personal, inspiring, and intimate portrait of John Paul II and his revolutionary term as Pope, from his origins in Poland to his impact on the American people and their politics, and his travels to the far corners of the world.
- Papal sin : structures of deceit / Garry Wills. 2000 262.13 WILLIS Papal si
- From Pulitzer Prize-winning author Garry Wills comes an assured, acutely insightful--and occasionally stinging--critique of the Catholic Church and its hierarchy from the nineteenth century to the present.
- An invitation to joy : selections from the writings and speeches of His Holiness John Paul II / with commentary by Greg Burke ; preface by Jorge María Mejía. 1999 BIO JOHN PAUL II POPE Autobiog Invitati
- On the eve of the new millennium, An Invitation of Joy brings together a selection of John Paul's messages with the most poignant photographs documenting his life both before and after his election to the papacy.
- Witness to hope : the biography of Pope John Paul II / George Weigel. 1999 BIO JOHN PAUL II POPE Weigel Witness
- Given unprecedented access to Pope John Paul II and the people who have known and worked with him throughout his life, George Weigel presents a groundbreaking portrait of the Pope as a man, a thinker, and a leader whose religious convictions have defined a new approach to world politics.
- John Paul II : a tribute in words and pictures / Virgilio Levi and Christine Allison. 1999 BIO JOHN PAUL II POPE Levi John Pau
- Presents the life of the Pope through hundreds of photographs and the eloquent words of a Vatican insider and an American journalist. From his beginnings in Wadowice, a village in Poland, to his ascension to the throne of St. Peter, the book tells the story of Karol Wojtyla, the man whose love of God and his proud, war-torn Poland would change the twentieth century.
- Pope John Paul II : a tribute / by Robert Sullivan and the editors of Life. 1999 BIO JOHN PAUL II POPE Sullivan
- The dramatic life story of Karol Wojtyla, Pope John Paul II, is captured in words and extraordinary pictures, including photographs shared with "LIFE" by the pontiff's old friends in Poland, seen here for the first time. 100 photos, many in color.
- John Paul II [videorecording] : the millennial Pope / A FRONTLINE coproduction with Helen Whitney Productions. 1999 VID BIO JOHN PAUL II POPE
- Provides a journey through the 20th Century to the sources of Pope John Paul II's character and beliefs and the world's reaction to him.
- Life in the Vatican with John Paul II / Luigi Accattoli ; photography by Grzegorz Galazka ; forward by Joaquín Navarro-Valls ; [translation by] Marguerite Shore]. 1998 282.092 J613A
- Accattoli and Galazka lead you through the papal apartments and museums that are never open to the public. Venture into the Vatican gardens and the excavations beneath the basilica; to the library and archives; and to offices open only to duly accredited diplomats and journalists. You will see where Pope John Paul II walks daily and witness in stunning photographs the pope himself utilizing the Vatican as a multifaceted sanctuary of devotion.
- Chronicle of the popes : the reign-by-reign record of the papacy from St. Peter to the present ; with 308 illustrations, 105 in color / P.G. Maxwell-Stuart. 1997 262.1309 M451c
- For nearly two millennia the popes have not only shaped the course of one of the world's great religions, but have also played a part--sometimes a dominant one--in the history of Europe. This book examines the lives, deeds, and misdeeds of the 264 popes, from St. Peter to John Paul II. 300 illustrations, 100 in color.
- His Holiness : John Paul II and the hidden history of our time / Carl Bernstein and Marco Politi. 1996 BIO JOHN PAUL II POPE Bernstei
- Journalists Carl Bernstein and Marco Politi provide an astonishing look at Pope John Paul II--the foremost political figure of our time.
- The next pope : a behind-the-scenes look at the forces that will choose the successor to John Paul II and decide the future of the Catholic Church / Peter Hebblethwaite. 1995 262.135 H353n
- Hebblethwaite, Vatican affairs correspondent for the National Catholic Reporter and author of five books on the Vatican and the papacy, clearly presents and explains the mechanisms and procedures of selecting a pope.
- God's politician : John Paul at the Vatican , by David Willey. 1992 BIO JOHN PAUL II POPE Willey
- Willey, a longtime BBC correspondent in Rome, provides historical backdrops on the papacy from a journalist's point of view. Highlights include John Paul's personal history; peace efforts; influence on Eastern Europe, Africa, and Latin America; and response to troublesome theologians, rapidly growing populations, and Vatican finances.
- Pope John Paul II, "Building up the Body of Christ": Pastoral Visit to the United States / edited and illustrated by the National Catholic News Service 1987 282.73 P81
- The book is divided into two sections: PART ONE THE VISIT: Each chapter covers the cities he visited; PART TWO THE MESSAGE: Major Addresses and homilies. Over 130 photographs.
- God's broker: the life of John Paul II / Antoni Gronowicz. 1984 BIO JOHN PAUL II POPE Gronowic
- Based upon nine years of research. Much of the material presented comes from private conversations in Europe and America with Pope John Paul II, Cardinals and other high officials of the Roman Catholic Church, as well as with the cultural and political personages of Poland.
- The pilgrim Pope, a man for all people : John Paul II's visits to the U.S.A., Mexico, Poland, and Ireland / Francis X. Murphy ; [photos. by Jonathan Atkin ... et al.]. 1979 BIO JOHN PAUL II POPE Murphy
- Photographic record of early travels by this most peripatetic of all Popes.
- Conmigo dÍa tras dÍa: momentos para la reflexiÓn / Juan Pablo II ; ediciÓn e introducciÓn a cargo del Obispo Peter Canisius Johannes van Lierde ; traducido por Antonio Aramayona Alonso. 1997 860 242.3 J613c
- Una colección de 365 meditaciones, y un viaje espiritual através del año liturgico que ofrece reflexiones sobre el misterio y el ejemplo de Jesucristo, la familia, las vidas de los santos, y el lugar de la fé en la vida cotidiana.
- La sabidurÍa de Juan Pablo II: los pensamientos del Papa sobre temas fundamentales / selecciÓn de Nick Bakalar y Richard Balkin ; introducciÓn del Padre John W. White. 1995 860 282 J613s
- El Papa nos ofrece sus pensamientos sobre la ética, la vida espiritual, y los problemas mundiales.
- Juan Pablo II. El rosario / selecciÓn de textos del cardenal Roger Etchegaray ; [traducciÓn del francÉs de Elena del Amo]. 1997 860 242.74 J613j
- Meditaciones sobre los misterios del rosario.
- Don y misterio : en el quincuagÉsimo aniversario de mi sacerdocio / Juan Pablo II. 1997 860 920 J613d
- Una autobiografía del Papa, en que explica cómo y por qué decidió ser sacerdote , incluyendo las influencias de la familia. En un relato inmediato y accesible, Juan Pablo nos habla de su niñez, de los efectos de la ocupación Nazi de Polonia, hasta los años de estudio y ministro en Roma.
- Juan Pablo II : al servicio de la humanidad / Jesus Manuel MartÍnez ; direcciÓn iconogrÁfica, Ted Smart y David Gibbon ; fotografÍas, C.L.I. ; diseÑo portada, Juan Busquets ; secretaria redacciÓn, Montserrat Juan. 1980 860 920 J613M
- Una biografía ilustrada del Papa.
On the Web:
- Pope John Paul II Resources
- From the Poynter Institute.
- Vacancy of the Apostolic See: Official Documents
- From the Vatican.
- "Do Not Be Afraid...": The Pontificate of John Paul II
- From the Vatican.
- List of Popes
- From The Catholic Encyclopedia.
- Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church
- From Salvador Miranda.