News & Media
Local Media | National Media & Breaking News | Newspaper & Magazine Archives
- Berkshire Eagle
- News, weather, sports, arts and entertainment for Pittsfield and Berkshire County.
- BusinessWest Online
- Sections of the Western Mass. business journal available online, including the latest bankruptcy filings, DBA certificates, incorporations, building permits, and real estate transactions.
- GazetteNET: Daily Hampshire Gazette Online
- Covers news, activities, entertainment, dining, and more for the Pioneer Valley.
- Greenfield Recorder
- Online news, sports, weather, arts & entertainment, and classifieds for Franklin County.
- The Hartford Courant
- The major Connecticut newspaper is online.
- Extensive coverage of Springfield and Western Massachusetts from the local newspaper the Springfield Republican (formerly Springfield Union-News & Sunday Republican) , including news and weather, arts & entertainment listings, classifieds, sports and business coverage, and interactive online forums for discussion of issues of local interest. For the online archives of the Springfield Republican (1988 - present), visit our Electronic Databases page (Western Mass. library card required). For an (incomplete) online index to the Springfield newspapers from 1877 - 1987, click here. Please note that the library does not have access to the online archives prior to 1988, only to the index.
- New England Public Radio
- UMass-Amherst is home to the Valley's National Public Radio affiliate, bringing us 24 hours of music, public affairs, news and cultural programming and commentary, including programs produced locally as well as those from NPR and Public Radio International.
- The Reminder
- The Reminder newspaper has its own website, with news of interest to Springfield and its surrounding towns, classifieds, links to other sites of interest, and interactive community bulletin boards for activities in Greater Springfield and the Pioneer Valley. Includes links to the Chicopee Herald , Prime Times , a newspaper for local seniors, and The Journal Bravo , a local arts & entertainment publication.
- Springfield Cable Endowment
- The Springfield Cable Endowment (Channel 18B) was created to support directly the production, promotion or acquisition of educational, cultural, and informative programming for the Springfield Cable System. The Endowment provides the general public a means to accomplish innovative and creative programming, drawing upon local talent and expertise.
- Valley Advocate
- The Pioneer Valley's alternative newspaper. Includes information on upcoming arts and entertainment events.
- WGGB-TV Springfield MA
- Springfield's ABC affiliate, Channel 40. Local and regional coverage of news, weather and sports.
- WHYN News Talk 560
- Springfield's local talk and news radio station.
- WWLP-TV Springfield MA
- Channel 22, Springfield's local television NBC affiliate. Updated stories on breaking City and area news, weather and sports.
National Media & Breaking News
- AJR/News Link
- A service of the American Journalism Review, this site links you to hundreds of newspapers and other news services. You can search by state, or visit one of the major metropolitan newspapers. Includes news and information of interest to the journalism profession.
- AAN: Publication Directory I
- nformation about and links to alternative publications from around the country, from the Association of Alternative Newsweeklies.
- The Boston Globe Online
- Check the daily news, read late-breaking stories on the AP Newswire, and search the archives for older stories. For the online archives of the Boston Globe, visit our Electronic Databases page (Massachusetts library card required).
- CNN Interactive
- This national news organization provides continuously-updated reports and many other features.
- Search thousands of news sites, weblogs and RSS feeds for current events and breaking news.
- Documents in the News
- Identifies issues in the news, adding additional web sources and other information. From the Documents Center at the University of Michigan Library.
- Facts for Features
- From the US Census Bureau. Each Facts for Features consists of a collection of statistics pertinent to a particular holiday or special observance; they serve as background for reporters who write or broadcast feature stories. The data are gleaned from demographic and economic subject areas across the Census Bureau.
- Google News
- Search engine for breaking news around the country and around the world. From Google.
- Check here for breaking news in politics, government, health, business and other topics.
- Journalist's Toolbox
- Online resources for reporters and editors. Features more than 20,000 web resources helpful to the media and anyone else doing research.
- National Public Radio Home Page
- Catch up on what's happening on NPR. Includes sound files of broadcasts which you can download and listen to at home.
- News Briefings
- The staff of the U.S. News library has compiled background information, basic facts, biographies of key players, and links to relevant documents and Web sites. From US News & World Report .
- Access online newspapers and magazines around the country and around the world. Indexed by country.
- News Voyager
- A gateway to local newspapers throughout the US.
- New York Times on the Web
- Full content of the national newspaper is online, along with extras, such as audio interviews, first chapters from books reviewed and much more. Although the site is FREE, registration is required. Some archival issues require payment. New York Times Archive Search Search the Article Archive: 1851-present for more than 15 million articles from Sept. 1851. Microfilm of the New York Times is available at the Central Library.
- Read the news in your NATIVE language. Newspapers from around the world indexed by country.
- Opinion Pages
- Access to the most current editorials, opinions, commentaries and columnists from English newspapers and magazines on the World Wide Web.
- Features program listings for hundreds of public radio stations around the world. Follow the audio links to hear your favorite programs and discover new ones. Requires installation of proper audio software .
- The Smoking Gun
- The Smoking Gun presents exclusive documents that can't be found elsewhere on the Web, using material obtained from government and law enforcement sources, via Freedom of Information requests, and from court files nationwide. The site was founded in April 1997. In December 2000, The Smoking Gun was acquired by Court TV, a basic cable network with more than 72 million subscribers.
- STATS: Statistical Assessment Service
- Resource on the use and abuse of science and statistics in the media. Its goals are to correct scientific misinformation in the media resulting from bad science, politics, or a simple lack of information or knowledge; and to act as a resource for journalists and policy makers on major scientific issues and controversies.
- USA Today This national newspaper's website keeps you up to date on late-breaking stories, scores, and financial information.
Newspaper & Magazine Archives
- British Pathe
- Preview items from the entire 3500 hour British Pathe Film Archive which covers news, sport, social history and entertainment from 1896 to 1970. You can also license higher resolution copies of the same items for PowerPoint Presentations and Web Publishing, or simply buy a still from the item for private use.
- Archive of published articles that you can search for free. Constantly updated, it contains articles dating back to 1998 from more than 300 popular interest magazines and journals. Browse the categories or use the search engine.
- Historical New York Times Project
- Ongoing digitization program, which iincludes newspaper issues covering the Civil War and the Turn of the Century 1900-1907.
- MagPortal.com F
- ind individual articles from many free magazines by browsing the categories or using the search engine.
- Newspaper Indexes, Archives and Morgues
- An Internet resource page from the Library of Congress.
- US News Archives on the Web
- Links to United States news archives available on the Web. Provides the dates of the archive, along with the cost to retrieve the full text of articles. Unless noted, searching is free. Charges may apply to retrieve stories. From the News Division of the Special Libraries Association.