Ms. Bader stated that the Library's budget hearing would be tomorrow at 12:50 p.m. in the City Council area.
The Library reports to the Planning & Economic Development Committee chaired by Councilman Foley.
Ms Bader described the Library budget as "flat."
There is a 2% increase due to benefits and regular raises. There is a reduction of $40,000 in the Facilities & Materials budget, yet it still meets all standards for State Aid, stated to Ms. Bader.
Following up on Customer Service issues from last month's meeting, Ms. Bader reported that the focus of the November 2007 Staff Development Day was improving customer service through policy revisions, staff empowerment & training, and enhancing/improving the physical environments. As a result:
• Changes to the circulation policies were approved.
• A new performance evaluation system for both bargaining and management staff was implemented.
• Judy Cmero, Manager of Borrowers' Services did extensive customer service training for clerical staff. In addition Ms. Bader and Ms. Fogarty met individually with each staff team in order to emphasize the resolution of customer service problems in a positive way.
• Staff completed a "physical environment inventory" of their branch/area. Using this information improvements are being made, such as: painting hallways; ordering new furniture in order to create a teen area at Sixteen Acres Branch Library; installing new benches and display units in the rotunda at Central Library; repainting all interior walls at Forest Park Branch Library; installing wireless internet access at East Springfield and Sixteen Acres Branch Library.
• Other improvements are planned for FY09, depending upon final budget allocation.