5. Library Director's Interview
Mr. Bill Mahoney, Director of Human Resources and Labor Relations for the City, spoke about the Library Director job posting and interview process: a nationwide search was held and the search committee first interviewed six candidates and narrowed the field to two finalists. Right before the last meeting the other candidate withdrew. The Commissioners were asked to interview Ms. Fogarty and make recommendations to the Mayor.
At this time Mr. Cary, Ms. McElwaine and Mr. Moriarty asked their prepared questions to Ms. Fogarty. Some questions posed were:
1. What is your vision for the Mason Square Library and how will it be implemented?
2. Please tell us about how you see the role of the community and grassroots groups such as branch library advisory committees and how each can be most helpful to the library system.
3. Can you speak to us about your management style and how it is similar and different from that of the former director? What specific things would you or have you changed since taking on the interim role and why did you see those as the priorities if you did make changes. What are your managerial priorities upon being named director?
4. Tell us about your standards for managing and successfully meeting the demands of widely diverse priorities and stakeholders, e.g. requests from city hall, commission projects, the strategic plan, input from branch advisory committees and day-to-day operations including the needs of branch libraries.
5. What is the strategy of working here as the Interim Library Director compared to being the actual Library Director?
6. Springfield has become quite a diverse city in the recent past. Can you speak about how well you feel the library is serving immigrant communities, and what you would do to reach out to immigrant communities within the City of Springfield?
7. Please describe your approach to initiatives from community groups and/or agencies and give examples of a successful collaboration in which you were involved and an attempted collaboration that was unsuccessful.
8. Although a city department, what role do you feel fundraising plays in the day to day operations of the library system and how do you see Friends of the Library, the Foundation, the commission and others assisting in fundraising activities?
Ms. O'Connor made a motion that the Library Commission send its recommendation to Mayor Sarno to appoint Molly Fogarty as Library Director. Ms. McElwaine seconded the motion.
The motion passed.
Voicing concern about open and expired seats on the Library Commission, Mr. Moriarty made a motion that a letter be sent to the Mayor recommending new Library Commissioners be named as soon as possible. Ms. McElwaine seconded the motion.
The motion passed.